Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snow, snow, and more snow!

Guten Tag!
I have made it to Berlin safe and sound! Steven, the principal picked me up from the airport and took me straight to the Elementary School. I waited there a while and met my host home mom, Irmgart. She took me to her flat and it is beautiful! It is called Villa Elisabeth, it's like a fairy tale:) Meg and I have our own rooms but we have been in each others most of the time discussing all of the traveling we want to do in these next few months!

My first day here I enjoyed the German chocolate Irmgart made me and unpacked while waiting for Meg to arrive. I soon received a call from Meg telling me her flight was delayed:( poor Meg! In the meantime, Irmgart and I had "tea time." She bought some cakes from the bakery and we had some raspberry tea to go along with it.

The next day Irmgart took me to the School and I met my teacher who I will be working with. She is from Wisconsin and has been teaching at the JFK School for three years now. I'm excited to be in 6th grade with her! Meg is right next door to me so I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of each other.

Meg finally arrived and it was good to finally see her! Irmgart took us around the town to show us how to get to the school. She also did a few errands which was fun to see what a "local" does on the weekends. There were so many children on their sleighs, I keep telling Meg we need to get one and pull each other around! :) She also took us to the lake where everyone likes to go--especially during the summer time. I'm sure Meg and I will be doing a lot more exploring over the next few days.

There is so much snow it is beautiful! I asked her if school might be cancelled because of the snow storm this weekend and she said she doubts it. She thought it was funny that my little sister and brother were out for school because of the ice on the road!

Irmgart gave Meg and I each a map of Berlin and Europe, then we gave her an Auburn T-shirt which she loved and said she can't wait to exercise in it and slim down:) She has been so welcoming and I'm excited to be here!
Auf Wiedersehen!

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I can't wait to see pictures of y'all on sleighs...that should be good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great getting to know you ~ even thru 5,000 miles!

    Enjoy the snow.

    Marianna & Meg ~ sounds like a great team!
    "M & M"....a superfun treat!

    So glad ya'll have each other ~ Praising God for His goodness and grace.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been good getting to know you too! I've heard a lot about you so it is finally good to see you through skype!

    And yes. M&M is a great team! We are a great team and learning together...that's for sure:)

    I'm so thankful we have each other too! God knew what was best for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Marianna. I didn't know you were in Germany this semester! Can I come visit? I'll tell Burton we need some girl time. lol.

    I look forward to keeping up with you! much love~

    ReplyDelete

Followers