Monday, January 25, 2010

Sledding with Sixth Grade

On our Monday off, my teacher Karla took Meg and I around the city. She showed us some of her favorite places and took us out for coffee and cake! Germans love their cake, this is why I have started jogging in the snow 

Later on in the week, I got out of school early one day, so I decided to borrow Meg’s German/English dictionary and try and get my hair cut! I walked into the barber shop and asked if the lady spoke English. She said NO. So I was able to point to the phrases to make sure she knew what I wanted. We talked for about 10 minutes making sure she knew only 2 inches (I have the game of sharades mastered). She did a nice job but it was scary when her eyes got really big when some pieces were longer than she thought during the layering process. That’s when I got really nervous!

Wednesday night we celebrated Meg’s birthday with Irmgart and the other intern Andrea who is from the University of Kentucky. We went to a nice Italian restaurant which they have at every corner, it’s amazing. Irmgart was so helpful to translate everything on the menu for us.

This weekend was great, we started it off going to the Grune Woche (Green Week) which is an international food/homeliving/livestock/animal fair. We payed 7 euro and went to so many different booths from different countries all over the world. We sampled different types of food and drinks. Some of my favorites were the Switzerland fondue cheese and the Norwegian waffle with different flavors of marmalade. Oh and of course the gelato from Italy! After 4 hours of visiting the different countries, Meg and I were exhausted. It was kind of an emotional roller coaster because one second you really feel like you are in China, and then the next minute you are in France. CRAZY!



Meg and I with the Norwegian girl and the delicious heart waffle and marmalade!

The best part of my weekend was Saturday morning. I woke up because it was bright in my room!! That means the sun was shining and it’s the first time we have seen sun since we have been here! This has been the longest Berlin hasn’t seen sun in a long time-over two weeks! And according to the locals and what the news tells us, this is the coldest winter for Berlin on record! Thank you Lord for the sunshine! Meg and I took advantage of this and went to Mitte and did some shopping! We found the Ritter Sport Shokolade store where you can create your own chocolate bar with any type of mix-in! I got the dark chocolate with jelly bellies and yoghurt chips. Delish, I promise.


On Monday, my students were the only 6th graders that hadn’t gone sledding for good behavior. So my teacher let them go and I got to go down too! I only went once because I’m pretty sure I have bruised my tailbone…haha

1 comment:

Followers