Thursday, April 29, 2010

Holland or Netherlands?

We left for Amsterdam after school on Friday. We stayed at a Christian Hostel, they were playing Christian music when we walked in and all of the workers were volunteers-what a great ministry! They provided free dinner and we met people from all over the world. One of the girls we met was from Australia and she spent the next day with us. I loved talking to her, she was sweet to help me attempt an Australian accent; however, I couldn't escape the southern accent I have, she said I had too much twang.

On Saturday we went to Haarlem, Holland where we saw Corrie Ten Boom's house. This was by far my favorite museum I have ever been to. Corrie Ten Boom wrote the book The Hiding Place which tells her story of risking her and her family’s lives by smuggling Jews with complete faith in the Lord. During the tour, we saw where the actual "hiding place," was for the Jews. They hid in a small area behind a false wall in Corrie's bedroom.

Psalm 32:7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

1 Peter 3:14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."


You can go to www.corrietenboom.com for the complete story! It changed my life,the presence of the Lord was so strong there.

Not only does Corrie teach us to be strong in our faith but she is a great example to forgive as God forgave. She knew that everyone who had received God’s mercy had no choice but to show mercy to others; and she knew from her own experience that wasn’t always easy.

In her book The Hiding Place she tells the following story:

“It was at a church service in Munich that I saw him, the former S.S. man who had stood guard at the shower room door in the processing center at Ravensbruck. He was the first of our actual jailers that I had seen since that time. And suddenly it was all there – the roomful of mocking men, the heaps of clothing, Betsie’s pain-blanched face.
He came up to me as the church was emptying, beaming and bowing. “How grateful I am for your message, Fraulein.” he said. “To think that, as you say, He has washed my sins away!”
His hand was thrust out to shake mine. And I, who had preached so often to the people in Bloemendaal the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side.
Even as the angry, vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him.
I tried to smile, I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so again I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me Your forgiveness.
As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me.
And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world’s healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself.”

Saturday afternoon we watched the most famous parade in the Netherlands, The Flower Parade. The floats were amazing, full of different designs and colors by using flowers! I wish I could have taken a picture of the smell as the floats went by-unbelievable.




After the parade, we went to the Keukenhof Gardens. I've never seen such amazing flower arrangements. There were tons of people walking around, taking pictures, laying in the grass by the pond, and smelling the flowers.



The tulip fields are what really amazed me. Rows and rows of tulips, it's as if God took his paint brush and painted them in straight rows.


Sunday Morning we went to the Anne Frank house. It was so amazing to be in her house and see the journal she kept. It really makes you thankful for the freedom we have in the world and in the Lord!

Sunday night Irmgart made us a "typical german meal" which was white asparagus with potatoes, salad and ham. The German name for this asparagus is Spargel, it is only available during late April to early June. It is grown covered in soil in order to prevent photosynthesis which prevents it from turning green and results in a sweeter and more tender taste. (thanks wikipedia) We sat outside on the balcony to eat. It was nice to come back "home" and spend time with her. She has been so sweet and spoiled us for sure. Can't believe this is my last week! We are wrapping up the things we want to do in Berlin and getting ready to say, "Auf wiedersehen!"

There are several things I'm looking forward to when I get home. I'm definitely looking forward to driving a car when I return. The other day, on the way home, I was riding my bike with a twenty pound back pack, two jackets strapped to the back, a purse around my neck, a loaf of bread in one hand, and a sack of bananas on the other. Two more days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers